Thursday, September 18, 2014

Day 2: EVERY Tuesday?

I woke up (earlier but) late. I'd been told that as long as I was in the office for the 11:05 am scrum, it was fine. Yet, I'm not looking to be in the office until 8 pm every night, so 8:30 is my target arrival time so I can be out at 5 every afternoon.

This week Mike and I will meet at 10 am with Tracy every day to see what we'll be up to that day. This was the beginning of an entire day away from the computer.

Apparently every Tuesday is meetings day. The dev team has meetings with the whole company, among themselves, with customer service, with the CEO, with the product manager. All day long. 

The company operates on an agile framework, with sprints every week. They have quarterly goals for new product development, but tackle tickets and minor patches on a weekly schedule. It seems highly effective and decently oiled. 

At Tuesday meetings, they update the rest of the company on the status of that sprint, the quarterly goals, and general affair of things. They evaluate their work from the previous week and scope out what lies ahead of them for the coming week. They pick one ticket and dive into how it could have been avoided. 

It makes a whole lot of sense.

Unless you're the new kid.

Then it's a whole day of no input. I'm not going to lie, it was a rough day. There wasn't a whole lot of moving around. I tried to stay engaged, but hadn't really even seen the product at that point and there were parts way over my head. Hopefully Tuesdays will get better.