Monday, September 22, 2014

Day 6: How old is this code?

Mondays. *Le sigh*

Today Mike and I took our queries from Friday and refactored them to work on a more holistic basis with the existing code.

Essentially, the system has preexisting classes that can gather all of our query data without our code having to directly query the database. 

Once again, this meant I was dealing with about six different classes, while Mike had one. He'd also written his code in more of an iterative manner in the first place, while I'd written one block of query. He didn't finish too far ahead of me! 

We had a meeting with Dave to talk about his multi-hat role for the company. He governs the security of the product, testing, and quality assurance. It's a lot of jobs, and the company is optioning ways to mitigate his work load.

Once we'd finished our model-built exports, we get to try to work them into the current working code. There's a place for users to go pull various queries and reports, so our task was to make ours available there. There are four examples in the code where this has been done before. The only problem, all four of them were done differently, across the last 5 to 7 years. Yipes.

So I'm currently going through all the code, trying to figure out who might have done it best or which relates most closely to the work I've done.

I'm bummed I won't get to work on it much tomorrow because of sprint wrap/review/planning.

That's alright. Anything is better than tutorials.